Slip and fall accidents happen all the time. When they do, you need an experienced Seattle slip and fall lawyer. Falls occur when they are least expected, thus leading to compromised body mechanics during the fall that often increase the severity of the injuries suffered.
Slip and falls often occur due to wet floors, spilled liquids, inadequate or missing entryway mats, and many other hidden hazards you don’t notice until it is too late. Trip and falls happen when unexpected objects or conditions impede your intended direction of travel. People often trip over large cracks in the sidewalk, potholes in crosswalks, unmarked and unexpected steps, and a host of many dangerous conditions that can cause a bad fall. Falls can happen when stairs break or crumble, or when a handrail or other safety device fails and causes a fall rather than preventing one.
All Seattle and Washington property owners have a duty to maintain their premises in a safe manner. If you slip and fall or are injured while shopping at a store or while on someone else’s property, you may have a claim against the property owner or business that is responsible for keeping its patrons free from hazards. When you or a family member slip and fall, you need a Washington slip and fall attorney who can help you protect your rights. If you or a family member suffer a slip, trip or fall you should make sure to take the following steps.
1. Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Your health and well-being are paramount, but seeking medical attention quickly will help document any injuries you suffered from the fall as well.
2. If you are in a retail establishment immediately report the incident to the staff so that they can document your fall and the conditions that caused the slip or trip. Similarly, immediately report any fall to your landlord if the fall occurs on premises you rent or if you are a guest on a rental premises. If the fall happened at the home of another make sure the homeowner is informed of where and how the fall occurred.
3. If your post-fall condition allows, or if you have another person with you, make sure to take pictures of the exact spot and conditions where the fall occurred.
4. Obtain the names and phone numbers of the any witness to your fall if your condition allows.
5. If you think that someone is responsible for causing your fall and injuries say as little as possible to anyone until you have a chance to speak with an attorney. Often insurance companies will contact you looking for information or to offer small sums to get you to sign a wavier. If this is the case, politely decline to speak with them until you’ve had a chance to have a personal injury lawyer evaluate the facts of your case.
6. Other post-fall steps to take include, keeping the clothes you were wearing at the time in a plastic bag to preserve them, especially if the clothes have any tears, stains or other marks. In addition, preserve the footwear you were wearing and do not wear them again until you speak with any attorney
7. Call and speak with an experienced personal injury attorney about your case.
Not all slip and fall accidents are alike and you need a slip and fall attorney who can help you determine the responsible parties and protect your rights. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your slip and fall case with a Seattle Slip and Fall Lawyer.
12055 15th Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98125
Phone: (206) 826-5160
Fax: (206) 922-5598