Speak with an attorney

What Should I Do After a Car Accident?

What Should I Do After a Car Accident?

If you are involved in a car accident, call the police immediately. If you are unable to call the police, ask the nearest person or witness to call 9-1-1. The police and responding medical and fire departments are there to help you and will do their best to see that you get the medical attention and emergency response that is needed. The Washington Department of Motor Vehicles’s recommendations [i] also suggest that you try to move to the side of the road to avoid any additional threats to your safety.

A police report is important to have later on when we need to determine who caused the accident and how to locate the person and their insurer. Your car accident lawyer can obtain copies of the police report online through the Washington State Patrol. [ii] If the police never show up after you call them, the Washington State Patrol also permits you to file a civilian report after your accident, which is a good way to document the accident and the other driver’s information. https://fortress.wa.gov/wsp/wrecr/OMVCR/”>[iii]

Your first priority is your and your family’s safety and medical care. Go to the hospital and insist that your family members and passengers go to the hospital. When you have just become the victim of a car accident, you are likely shaken up and need to make sure that you get treatment and care for any potential injuries you suffered. Make sure to follow up with doctor’s instructions. It makes our jobs as car accident attorneys even more difficult when you fail to follow your doctor’s recommendations for follow up care and treatment.

As soon as you are able, contact our office to schedule an appointment with a car accident attorney. Our attorneys have years of experience handling car accident claims and cases and can help you from the beginning through the end and with every detail of your case and claim. While it is important to get information from the other drivers, including insurance information, we recommend that you contact us before you speak to anyone from an insurance company, even your own insurance company. We do not charge you any fees for our evaluations and we only receive a fee when your case or claim is finalized and only if you receive monetary compensation for your car accident injuries.


[i] http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/accident-guide/

[ii] http://www.wsp.wa.gov/publications/collision.htm

https://fortress.wa.gov/wsp/wrecr/OMVCR/”>[iii] https://fortress.wa.gov/wsp/wrecr/OMVCR/

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons